The Student News Site of Harrison High School

The Panther Press

The Panther Press

The Panther Press

Hailey Richmond
Hailey Richmond
November 8, 2023

Lunch with the mayor? Yes, please.

Students invited to dine with Mayor Yemi Mobolade
Mayor Yemi with HSD2 students and staff. Photo Credit: HSD2 Communications Department

100 days in office. 100 days at work. 100 days of success for the newly elected mayor of Colorado Springs, Yemi Mobolade. To celebrate these past 100 days, Mayor Yemi invited nearly a thousand people to join him for lunch as he gave his State of the City Address at the Broadmoor International Center. 

In this sea of people were Harrison High School’s principal, Peter Vargas, and students Kenny Jones, Candelora Dionisio, and Blair Minnard; alongside them were Harrison School District 2 Superintendent Dr. Wendy Birhanzel and other staff and students from across the district. To kick off the event, these students led the massive crowd in the Pledge of Allegiance, leading into Mayor Yemi’s address.  

Though Yemi focused heavily on the progress of his vision and the victories that he’s had so far, he made sure to thank everyone in the community that helped make it all happen. One of those people was Dr. Birhanzel. “My hat is off to Dr. Wendy Birhanzel,” Mayor Yemi said, “for her great work and leadership in the community.” With a round of applause, Birhanzel received a moment of recognition for all the work that she does. 

Though we all know it already, Harrison School District 2 has an amazing leader in Dr. Birhanzel, and as Mayor Yemi would say, “the next generation of leaders!”