The Student News Site of Harrison High School

The Panther Press

The Panther Press

The Panther Press

Hailey Richmond
Hailey Richmond
November 8, 2023

Young entrepreneurs are inspiration for peers

Harrison is home to many young women who already run successful businesses

Harrison High School is home to a diverse student body that likes to to have options. After graduation, some get straight to work. Some hit the books in college. Some join the military. But some don’t wait, and they already run successful businesses before they even graduate high school. Meet Vanessa Balderrama. Vanessa is a senior who started her own lash extension business two years ago at the age of 15 years old. Inspired by her aunt who also does lashes, she started to learn so she could do them for her aunt. Through that process, her own business was born and continues to grow. Vanessa offers advice to peers who have been thinking of starting their own business. “Don’t feel discouraged, keep going because failure is part of the process.” Another young business owner is sophomore Monserrat Hernandez, who started doing nails in December of last year. When asked what inspired her to start it up, she stated “I just wanted to do nails. They look beautiful, and I wanted to try new things.” Monserrat plans to attend school to become a licensed cosmetologist and plans to continue as a permanent profession. She believes that it’s important for young entrepreneurs to” Never give up and keep trying because everything will work out with time.”

Sarahi Esquivel, a senior, has owned a licensed LLC since October 12, 2022. She owns a very known flower business named Sarah’s flowers. Sarahi started her journey by watching Tik Tok how-to videos, and she also asked people she knew for help. Sarahi made her first bouquet for her cousin/s girlfriend, and decided to make it her profession. “The flowers inspire me and so do my customers. Seeing them happy makes me want to keep going.” She thinks “It’s important for young women and men thinking of starting up to ” Don’t be afraid! Just go for it!”

Dayanara Rodriguez who also owns a lash and flower business. Dayanara started her business in August of 2020. She started by researching and speaking with other lash technicians to see what lashes had the best quality. She also spent time thinking of a business name. Dayanara thought this could be fun and a good way to make money. Her main inspiration is her father who, like her, started his own business when he was young and ended up being very successful. She says, “Just go for it, and don’t be embarrassed or scared to be on your own or ask for help.”

You can check out all of these young women’s services on Instagram

@lashes_byvane @MonseNails @luna.lashes @Sarasflowerss