The Student News Site of Harrison High School

The Panther Press

The Panther Press

The Panther Press

Hailey Richmond
Hailey Richmond
November 8, 2023

“D2 has SPACE for everyone” event offers chance to see rare spectacle

A Ring of Fire Eclipse
Shuji Kajiyama /AP
A Ring of Fire Eclipse

On October 14, a rare spectacle will appear in the Colorado sky. Viewers in the path of the annular solar eclipse will see a very rare “Ring of Fire” as the moon passes in front of the sun. The event will begin at 9:13 a.m. PT and will end at 1:03 p.m. ET. Viewers who miss the event will have to wait until 2046 to see it happen again, according to data provided by NASA.

Viewers can expect the “Ring of Fire” phase of the eclipse to last 1-5 minutes. The entire viewing time will last 1 hour and 40 minutes.

HSD2 invites staff, students, and their families to the “D2 Has SPACE For Everyone” event on Saturday, October 14, from 9:30 am – 12:30 pm at Panorama Park (4540 Fenton Rd., adjacent to Panorama Middle School). Viewing glasses will be provided to all attendees. Several local organizations are partnering with D2 to make this community event possible.

NASA will be livestreaming the event for those who are unable to view it. They will provide views from several locations across the US.

It is never safe to view an eclipse with the naked eye. While the sky will grow darker and may appear safe to see with no protection, there is no phase in an annular eclipse that blocks out the entire sun.

View Comments (1)
Donate to The Panther Press
$85
$1000
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Harrison High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.