The Student News Site of Harrison High School

The Panther Press

The Panther Press

The Panther Press

Hailey Richmond
Hailey Richmond
November 8, 2023

Boys soccer remains undefeated heading into league play

The Harrison Boys Soccer team continues its impressive season start with another win last night in a score of 8-1 against their non-league opponent Sand Creek High School. The team remains undefeated at 5-0-4.

“I think we have some serious talent on the team at all positions and even into the bench. We have come back from being down in three games and that’s a testament to this team’s resilience and heart,” says Coach Bridger Stapleton.

And the team does have the stats to back it up. Emmanuel Sanchez (12) at Forward has an impressive, 14 goals, with 47 shots overall on the season, and is currently ranked 17th in the entire state.

“The freshman class has proven to be dynamic in their abilities to immediately make an impact this year,” Stapleton adds. Forward Julio Garcia has an assist record that puts him first in the CSML and ranked 33rd in the state as a freshman. Freshman Freddy Flores has shown ability to distribute the ball to teammates and control the midfield, and freshman Gustavo Morales has demonstrated his unmatched motor and intensity, solidifying the Harrison team as well.

Stapleton also believes Senior Kyle Bent, Juniors Isidro Topete, Sammy Prenger, and Carlos Quiroz, and Sophomore Edwin Moncada make up a solid and consistent defensive line, only giving up a total of 6 goals through 9 games.

Stapleton gives Senior Kenny Jones a great deal of credit for their seasonal success as well. In his first and only season to ever hit the pitch, Kenny has racked up a staggering average of 5 saves per match. The team knew they were getting a solid performer in Kenny, as he has demonstrated natural athletic talent as a starter in 2 other varsity sports.

Moving forward into their league play, Stapleton says of the team, “We need to maintain discipline, commitment, and trust if we are going to reach our goals.”

Harrison’s last non-league match takes place tomorrow against Pueblo Central @9:00am, and then it’s all league matches from there to finish out their seasonal play.