The Student News Site of Harrison High School

The Panther Press

The Panther Press

The Panther Press

Hailey Richmond
Hailey Richmond
November 8, 2023

Athlete Spotlight: Brenden Chacon

Brenden Chacon in a game against Pueblo County

Brenden Chacon Martinez (12) is the starting quarterback for the Varsity Panther Football team. Brenden has been playing football since he was six years old and is going into his 11th year of experience.

When asked about his inspiration for playing football, Brenden stated, “It’s all because of my uncle. He put the ball in my hands and has taught me everything I know about football from when I was a kid until now.”

When asked about the stress of his role as QB, Brenden explained, “I’ve gotten so used to and comfortable with the game, there is no pressure or stress even with the limited time I have to do something with the ball.”

Brenden continues, “I feel as if I have the right mindset for being a QB…the noise, the stress, with all eyes on me… it isn’t nothing. I’m just gonna play my game.”

With QB being an essential position in the game and the challenges the team has faced this year, Brenden says the key is “to have a positive attitude. With all the mistakes, I can’t let it get to me because a negative attitude won’t get me or this team anywhere.”

Brenden Chacon pictured here during the school day
Brenden Chacon in a game against Pueblo County (Nancy Melo)
Brenden about to throw a pass during